Tuesday, October 23, 2012

As David Bowe said: Ch-ch-ch-changes

I'm excited to make two big announcements! First, I have swtiched jobs. While I'll still be working with SQL Server, and I'll still be using my DBA skills, I'm making a switch over to the Business Intelligence side of the fence. I've always had a soft spot for really making the data useful to the people (okay, call them users if you like) who need to work with it day in and day out. I realize that Excel has been the go-to for data manipulation for many years now, and it's not going anywhere. What I find exciting is that SQL Server continues to evolve the ETL and reporting tools to make better use of Analysis Services. I'll be working with several amazing people in the Business Intelligence community at BlueGranite, a Michigan based company. Yes, I have ventured back into the realm of consulting. As Aaron Lowe once said, "once you have worked as a consultant, it's hard to go back" (or something very similar anyway).

This new role brings many exciting opportunities ahead to learn so much about Business Intelligence and Analytics. I am really fortunate to be working with people like Rob Kerr (@Robkerrbi) and Josh Fennessy (@JoshuaFennessy) and Garrett Edmondson, to name just a few. While it may be challenging to work out my home office in the chilly basement, it's been easy enough to stay connected with all of the technical options now out there (Lync, Skype, Twitter) so I don't feel isolated really at all.

The other piece of amazing news I have is that I will be joining the Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) Board of Directors this coming January! It is a two year term, and while I'm not sure what tasks will be assigned to me, I'm very much looking forward to serving the community and growing PASS. I invite you to leave comments or send me emails with any issues you feel should be addressed by the Board at any time. We need the input from the community at large to know where we need to focus our efforts.

I hope to have an opportunity to meet you at the PASS Annual Summit in Seattle. If you will be there, don't hesitate to stop me and say "Hi" at any time. I will be at all of the meetings on Tuesday(SQLSaturday roundtable, Regional Mentors meeting and Chapters meeting) plus you can find me at the Lightning Talks on Wednesday or the WIT Luncheon on Thursday. While I'm not a current sitting Board member yet, I will be at the Board Q&A on Friday as well in the audience (I haven't missed one yet)....and, if all else fails, I may run into you at #sqlkaraoke on any given evening.

One of my personal goals this year is to make it out to at least one User Group meeting in my region or surrounding cities each quarter. I definitely plan to make it up to Wisconsin and hopefully can also get out to Indianapolis. With the new job, I'm confident that hitting the Western Michigan meeting will also be in the cards, and I would like to make it down to my hometown of St. Louis as well. I'll be contacting the groups to find out if there is some way I can help out when I stop by.

2013 is going to be an amazing year, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment